A couple of years ago, I posted on the blog – in 140 characters or less, as if I was live-tweeting from the hospital – about my experience as a patient undergoing an MRI.
You may recall a few of my “tweets” from that post: “Are any hospital gowns made for someone over 6 feet?” and “Need two gowns, you don’t want to see what’s behind #youtube.”
These are the same complaints we’ve heard for decades about the standard patient gown – it’s ill-fitting, uncomfortable and has a very drafty backside.
And now, we have a solution: A newly designed patient gown that’s comfortable, warm and keeps patient covered, yet still accessible to clinical staff.
The new patient gown – resembling a wrap-around robe that completely closes in the back and front – is being rolled out on several inpatient floors at Henry Ford Hospital.
It is among the first inventions to be made public by the Henry Ford Innovation Institute in collaboration with the College for Creative Studies.
The newly designed gown is:
- Completely closed in the back, creating more privacy for patients
- Made of a thicker, cotton/polyester blend material, which keeps patients warmer than the previous patient gowns
- Double-breasted in the front, using three snaps, instead of ties, to close the gown
- Intuitive in design, with different colored snaps and stitching along the left and right sides of the gown, making it easy for patients to put on
- Accessible for IVs and other medical lines. The health care teams say it offers them uncompromised clinical access to the patient without needing to remove the gown
The goal is to license the design to an existing gown manufacturer, which would then produce and sell the gown nationally.
The cost to manufacture and purchase the new gown is very comparable to existing gowns. Laundering is exactly the same too; the new gown meets with current national hospital cleaning standards.
I actually like the gown a great deal, but prefer to not model it personally.
Trust me that even this gown doesn’t look good on me while wearing long black stockings and work shoes!